YOUR REGIONAL OUTDOOR JOURNALS
Highland Outdoors publishes engaging where-to journals that celebrate outdoor recreation. Our print recreation guides and online magazine offer outdoor enthusiasts up-to-date information on activities throughout the Allegheny Highlands of West Virginia.
Our CANYON GUIDE features adventures and iconic landscapes from the greater Blackwater, Smoke Hole, and Cheat Canyon areas. Our GORGE GUIDE features outdoor activities in the greater Gauley and New River Gorge areas, and the SNOW GUIDE celebrates winter adventures across the Allegheny Highlands.
Combined, Highland Outdoors’ journals have 80,000 readers annually and are distributed in 160+ locations across 20 counties in West Virginia, south-western Pennsylvania, western Maryland, and select locations in Washington D.C.
Print advertising is competitively priced and provides advertisers with the best CPM (cost per 1,000 impressions). We offer online advertising packages, as well as on-site event marketing at festivals, races, and charity events.
The 2017 print Canyon Guide will be published in April. The 2017 Gorge Guides will be published in June and August, and the 2017-2018 Snow Guide will be published in December 2017.
Contact us if you are interested in advertising and would like a copy of our Media Kit.
PHOTO & EDITORIAL GUIDELINES – BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR
We encourage contributors to submit thoughtful and informative articles on outdoor recreation in the Allegheny Highlands. We’re locals with a passion for writing and photography. We provide authentic news and original information used to get out and play.
- Feature Articles – outdoor activities and adventures in the Allegheny Highlands are preferred (e.g. hiking, sightseeing, climbing, paddling, pedaling, camping, running, fishing, skiing, aerial adventures, etc.). Personal narratives, area or event descriptions, wildlife exposés, humorous essays, and historical anecdotes are acceptable. All articles MUST have an underlying theme or angle. Simple “book reports” about a topic are not enough; high quality photographs should be included. Quick facts, insets, or sidebars should directly or indirectly relate to the feature. Length should be 300-500 words.
- Local Athlete Profiles – topics on eminent and/or interesting outdoor personalities are encouraged; article must have a coherent angle. Length and style are same as Feature Article.
- Area Attractions – interesting locales inside/outside north central WV; 300-400 words
- Humor/Essay – cartoons, overheard quips, outdoor jokes, short anecdotes – must be outdoor related; 100-300 words
- Local Outdoor Business Profiles – top regional outfitters/businesses providing high quality services, including why they do what they do, history, event schedule sidebars; 200-300 words
- Local Lore – area culture & history; 200-300 words
- Flora & Fauna – highlight of an indigenous species; 200-300 words
- Outdoor Handbook – first aid, how-to, cooking, astronomy, etc.; 200-300 words
- Adventure Travel – adventures outside Appalachia, international travel, road trips, etc. 200-300
- Health & Fitness – nutrition, training, injury prevention, medicine, etc.; 200-300 words
- Pets – anything having to do with full-sized dogs; 200-300 words
- News, Notes & Trends – local happenings; 100-300 words
Articles should involve readers and fuel the imagination, whatever the subject. Sentences should be direct and lean, yet packed with clear pictures, evoking sights, smells, tastes and other sensations. Descriptions should make use of figurative language—simile and metaphor—to make a direct connection with readers. All facts must be well-researched and supported by credible sources and examples. Writers should be willing to re-work copy according to editor’s comments/suggestions.
Photographers & Illustrators:
Stories with photographs or illustrations are preferred, but should be discussed with the editor before submission. High resolution digital photos are preferred.
The editor invites freelance photographers/graphic artists to send examples of their work at any time. We are always looking for cover photos.
Please send query letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full articles can also be submitted to email@example.com and should include the entire article in the body of the email. Proposed title and word count should be included in the subject line. Photo submissions should be sent as an email attachment; or a link to a Dropbox, Google Drive, or One Drive folder for larger files. Payment for content depends on quality, originality, amount of editing required, photographs and writer tenure with Highland Outdoors.
All published articles and photographs appear on www.highland-outdoors.com and associated social media outlets indefinitely.
Published by Highland Media, LLC. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without written permission is expressly prohibited.